Subject: Circular / Circulaire No 24(25): Convocation of the Experts' Group on Carbon Markets
From: "HCCH" <[email-masked]>
To: "Justiitsministeerium"
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2025 16:10:21 +0200

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Version française ci-après <>
Versión en español abajo <>

a

Convocation of the Experts’ Group on Carbon Markets

HCCH 2025 Focused Circular No 24

The Secretary General

To all Members of the HCCH,

I am pleased to convoke the Experts’ Group on the private international
law issues arising from carbon markets (EG on Carbon Markets). The first
meeting of the EG will take place from Tuesday 13 to Thursday 15 May 2025.
The meeting will be held in-person at the premises of the Permanent Bureau
(PB), with the possibility to participate online via the Microsoft Teams
platform. The meetings will be conducted in English and no simultaneous
interpretation will be provided.

This meeting is convoked pursuant to Conclusion and Decision (C&D) No 18
of CGAP 2025, which reads as follows:

18. CGAP mandated the establishment of an EG to study the PIL issues
arising from carbon markets, as described in Prel. Doc. No 6 of November
2024, with an initial focus on the possible inclusion of an applicable law
provision in the draft UNIDROIT Principles on Verified Carbon Credits. The
EG will report to CGAP 2026.

At the first working meeting, the PB will present a summary of the
exploratory work on the private international law aspects of carbon
markets that took place in the last year, including the Preliminary Report
prepared by pro bono experts sitting for the PB that was annexed to Prel.
Doc. No. 6 of November 2024, and will provide an introduction to the
members of the EG on Carbon Markets and its envisaged working methods and
project planning for the coming year.

Members are invited to designate their respective delegate(s) by sending
an e-mail to  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] before
Friday 11 April 2025, 5.00 p.m. (CEST). Please include the name(s),
function(s) and e-mail address(es) of the delegate(s) in the e-mail. The
following subject line should head the e-mail, “Carbon Markets – Experts’
Group Designation – [name of HCCH Member]”.

When designating their delegate(s), Members are invited to take into
consideration the following:

*	As the subject matter of the EG includes considerations of public
policy considerations and overriding mandatory regulations in relation to
the carbon markets, Members are kindly requested to identify delegates who
can speak to the policy views of the State or Organisation that they are
representing.
*	Please note that a limited number of delegates can be accommodated
at the premises of the PB and, as such, the number of in-person
participants is limited to two per Member and to one per Observer.
Registrations for in-person participation will close upon reaching the
maximum number of delegates who can be accommodated, bearing in mind
appropriate representation across geographic regions. Other delegates
should attend online.
*	The maximum number of experts participating online per Member or
Observer is not limited at this stage. A limit may have to be considered
if the number of experts designated to participate online differs
substantially across Members, bearing in mind appropriate representation
across geographic regions.
*	With a view to ensuring continuity and efficient working
practices, Members are kindly requested to keep their delegations stable
and not change the composition from one meeting to the next. Thus,
designations are to be made once, for the entire span of the EG on Carbon
Markets, comprising the abovementioned meeting and any future meetings
(see below).
*	Only Members that are eligible to participate in Experts’ Groups
according to the regulatory framework of the HCCH may designate
participants.

The draft agenda of the first meeting of the EG on Carbon Markets will be
circulated in due course. Information pertaining to the Carbon Markets
Project is available on the
<https://www.hcch.net/en/projects/legislative-projects/carbon-markets>
Carbon Markets Section of the HCCH website.

The second meeting of the EG on Carbon Markets is tentatively scheduled to
take place from Wednesday 8 to Friday 10 October 2025 and the third
meeting is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday 2 to Thursday 4 December
2025. Designated members of the EG will receive confirmation and further
information about future meetings in due course.

Finally, as regards invited Observers, pursuant to Rules II.B and II.J of
the HCCH Rules of Procedure, the PB informs Members that it intends to
invite, as Observers to the meeting, the following international and
non-governmental organisations: American Association of Private
International Law (ASADIP); Asian Development Bank (ADB); Australasian
Association of Private International Law (AAPrIL); European Association of
Private International Law (EAPIL); International Civil Aviation
Organisation (ICAO); International Bar Association (IBA); International
Institute for the Unification of Private Law (UNIDROIT); International
Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA); United Nations Commission on
International Trade Law (UNCITRAL); and the United Nations (Secretariat of
the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC)).

With my colleagues, I look forward to the first meeting of this EG.

Yours sincerely,

Christophe Bernasconi

THE HAGUE, 11 March 2025

To the National and Contact Organs of the Members
To the Diplomatic Missions of the Member

  _____

a

Convocation du Groupe d’experts sur les marchés du carbone

Circulaire ciblée No 24 de la HCCH de 2025

Le Secrétaire Général

À l’attention des Membres de la HCCH,

J’ai le plaisir de convoquer le Groupe d’experts sur les questions de
droit international privé découlant des marchés du carbone. La première
réunion du Groupe d’experts se tiendra du mardi 13 au jeudi 15 mai 2025 en
personne dans les locaux du Bureau Permanent (BP), avec la possibilité d’y
participer en ligne via la plateforme Microsoft Teams. Les travaux se
dérouleront en anglais et aucun service d’interprétation ne sera assuré.

Cette réunion est convoquée conformément à la Conclusion et Décision No 18
du CAGP de 2025, qui se lit comme suit :

18. Le CAGP a décidé la création d’un Groupe d’experts chargé d’étudier
les questions de droit international privé découlant des marchés du
carbone, comme présenté dans le Document préliminaire No 6 de novembre
2024. Le Groupe d’experts se concentrera dans un premier temps sur
l’éventuelle inclusion d’une disposition relative à la loi applicable dans
le projet des Principes d’UNIDROIT sur les crédits d’émission de carbone
vérifiés. Il fera rapport au CAGP lors de sa réunion de 2026.

Lors de cette première réunion de travail, le BP présentera un résumé des
travaux exploratoires menés au cours de l’année écoulée sur les aspects de
droit international privé des marchés du carbone, y compris le rapport
préliminaire préparé par des spécialistes bénévoles siégeant au sein du BP
qui a été annexé au Document préliminaire No 6 de novembre 2024. Une
introduction aux marchés du carbone sera également proposée aux membres du
Groupe d’experts, accompagnée d’une présentation de la planification et
des méthodes de travail prévues pour l’année à venir.

Les Membres sont invités à désigner des délégués par courrier électronique
à l’adresse  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked] avant le
vendredi 11 avril 2025, à 17 h (heure d’été d’Europe centrale). Veuillez
inclure les noms, fonctions et adresses électroniques des délégués dans le
courrier électronique. L’objet suivant doit figurer en tête du courrier
électronique : « Marchés du carbone - Désignation Groupe d’experts - [nom
du Membre de la HCCH] ».

Lors de la désignation de leurs délégués, les Membres sont invités à
prendre en considération les éléments suivants :

*	Étant donné que le mandat du Groupe d’experts comprend des
considérations de politique publique et des réglementations relatives aux
lois de police en rapport avec les marchés du carbone, les Membres sont
encouragés à désigner des délégués en mesure de s’exprimer sur les aspects
politiques de l’État ou de l’organisation qu’ils représentent.
*	Veuillez noter qu’un nombre limité de délégués peut être accueilli
dans les bureaux du BP et que, par conséquent, le nombre de participants
en personne est limité à deux par Membre et à un par Observateur. Les
inscriptions pour la participation en personne se clôtureront dès que la
capacité maximale accueil des délégués sera atteinte, en veillant à
assurer une représentation appropriée des différentes régions
géographiques. Les autres délégués devront participer en ligne.
*	Le nombre maximum d’experts participant en ligne par Membre ou
Observateur n’est pas limité à ce stade. Toutefois, une limite devra
peut-être être envisagée si le nombre d’experts désignés pour participer
en ligne diffère sensiblement d’un Membre à l’autre, afin de garantir une
représentation appropriée des régions géographiques.
*	Afin d’assurer la continuité et l’efficacité des travaux, il est
recommandé que la composition des délégations reste stable tout au long
des travaux du Groupe d’experts. Les désignations devront donc être faites
en une seule fois, et ce pour toute la durée des travaux du Groupe
d’experts, cela comprend la réunion susmentionnée ainsi que toutes les
réunions futures (voir ci-dessous).
*	Seuls les Membres qui sont autorisés à participer aux Groupes
d’experts conformément au cadre réglementaire de la HCCH peuvent désigner
des participants.

Le projet d’ordre du jour de la première réunion du Groupe d’experts sera
communiqué en temps utile. Les informations relatives au projet sur les
marchés du carbone sont disponibles sur l’Espace Marchés du carbone
<https://www.hcch.net/fr/projects/legislative-projects/carbon-markets>  du
site web de la HCCH.

Les deuxième et troisième réunions du Groupe d’experts sont provisoirement
programmées du mercredi 8 au vendredi 10 octobre et du mardi 2 au jeudi 4
décembre 2025, respectivement. Les membres désignés du Groupe recevront en
temps utile une confirmation et de plus amples informations sur ces
réunions à venir.

Enfin, en ce qui concerne les Observateurs invités, conformément aux
articles II.B et II.J du Règlement intérieur de la HCCH, le BP informe les
Membres qu’il a l’intention d’inviter les organisations internationales et
non gouvernementales suivantes en tant qu’observateurs à la réunion :
Association américaine de droit international privé (ASADIP) ; Association
internationale du barreau (IBA) ; Australasian Association of Private
International Law (AAPrIL) ; Banque asiatique de développement (BAD) ;
Commission des Nations Unies pour le droit commercial international
(CNUDCI) ; European Association of Private International Law (EAPIL) ;
Institut international pour l’unification du droit privé (UNIDROIT) ;
International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) ; Nations Unies
(Secrétariat de la Convention-cadre des Nations Unies sur les changements
climatiques (CCNUCC)) et Organisation de l’aviation civile internationale
(OACI).

Dans l’attente de la première réunion à venir du Groupe d’experts,
veuillez recevoir, chers Membres, l’expression de mes sentiments les
meilleurs.

Cordialement,

Christophe Bernasconi

LA HAYE, le 11 mars 2025

Aux Organes nationaux et de liaison des Membres
Aux Missions diplomatiques des Membres

  _____

a

  Convocación del Grupo de Expertos sobre Mercados de Carbono

Circular Específica N.º 24 de la HCCH de 2025

El Secretario General

A la atención de los Miembros de la HCCH:

Me complace convocar el Grupo de Expertos sobre las cuestiones de derecho
internacional privado que plantean los mercados de carbono (Grupo de
Expertos sobre Mercados de Carbono). La primera reunión se celebrará en
persona en la sede de la Oficina Permanente (OP) del martes 13 al jueves
15 de mayo de 2025, con la posibilidad de participar en línea por la
plataforma Microsoft Teams. Se llevará a cabo en inglés y no habrá
interpretación simultánea.

Esta reunión se convoca de conformidad con la Conclusión y Decisión (CyD)
N.º 18 del CAGP de 2025:

18. El CAGP encomendó la creación de un Grupo de Expertos para estudiar
las cuestiones de DIPr que plantean los mercados de carbono, según lo
indicado en el Documento Preliminar N.º 6 de noviembre de 2024. Dicho
estudio deberá centrarse inicialmente en la posible inclusión de una
disposición relativa al derecho aplicable en el proyecto de Principios del
UNIDROIT sobre los Créditos de Carbono Verificados. El Grupo de Expertos
presentará un informe al CAGP de 2026.

Durante esta primera reunión de trabajo, la OP presentará un resumen del
trabajo exploratorio que tuvo lugar el año pasado, en particular el
informe preliminar elaborado de forma gratuita por expertos convocados por
la OP, que se adjuntó al Documento Preliminar N.º 6 de noviembre de 2024.
Asimismo, servirá de introducción para los miembros del Grupo, así como
para presentar la planificación y los métodos de trabajo que se prevén
para el próximo año.

Se invita a los Miembros a designar a sus respectivos delegados por correo
electrónico a  <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]. La
fecha límite para ello es el viernes 11 de abril de 2025, a las 17:00
(hora de verano de Europa Central). Deben indicarse el nombre, el cargo y
la dirección de correo electrónico de cada delegado. El asunto del correo
debe ser: “Mercados de Carbono - Designación al Grupo de Expertos -
[nombre del Miembro de la HCCH]”.

Se invita a los Miembros a tener en cuenta lo siguiente cuando designen a
sus delegados:

*	Dado que el objeto de estudio del Grupo de Expertos comprende
consideraciones de orden público y leyes de policía en relación con los
mercados de carbono, rogamos a los Miembros que designen a delegados que
puedan exponer la postura política del Estado u organización al que
representan.
*	Cabe señalar que la sede de la OP tiene capacidad para un número
limitado de delegados, por lo que el número de participantes presenciales
se limita a dos por Miembro, y a uno por Observador. Las inscripciones
para participantes presenciales se cerrarán cuando se alcance el número
máximo de delegados, teniendo en cuenta que debe haber una representación
adecuada de todas las regiones geográficas. Los demás delegados deberán
participar en línea.
*	De momento no hay ningún límite para el número de participantes en
línea por Miembro u Observador. Tal vez haya que considerar imponer un
límite si el número de expertos designados para participar en línea es muy
diferente de un Miembro a otro, para velar por una representación
equilibrada entre las distintas regiones.
*	A fin de que haya continuidad y de que se trabaje de manera
eficiente, se ruega a los Miembros que mantengan estables sus delegaciones
y no cambien su composición de una reunión a otra. Por lo tanto, las
designaciones se realizarán una sola vez para la totalidad de la duración
del Grupo de Expertos, es decir, para la reunión antes mencionada y las
que se celebren en el futuro (véase más abajo).
*	Solo podrán designar participantes los Miembros que reúnan los
requisitos para participar en Grupos de Expertos según el marco
regulatorio de la HCCH.

El proyecto de agenda de la primera reunión se distribuirá en tiempo
oportuno. Para más información acerca del Proyecto sobre Mercados de
Carbono puede consultarse la
<https://www.hcch.net/es/projects/legislative-projects/carbon-markets/>
Sección Mercados de Carbono del sitio web de la HCCH.

La reuniones segunda y tercera están previstas, provisionalmente, del
miércoles 8 al viernes 10 de octubre de 2025, y del martes 2 al jueves 4
de diciembre de 2025, respectivamente. Los miembros designados recibirán
la confirmación de dichas reuniones y más información al respecto en
tiempo oportuno.

Por último, de conformidad con los artículos II.B y II.J del Reglamento
Interno de la HCCH, la OP informa a los Miembros que tiene la intención de
invitar, en calidad de observadores, a las siguientes organizaciones
internacionales y no gubernamentales: Asociación Americana de Derecho
Internacional Privado (ASADIP); Asociación Internacional de Abogados
(IBA); Asociación Internacional de Swaps y Derivados (ISDA); Australasian
Association of Private International Law (AAPrIL); Banco Asiático de
Desarrollo (BAD); Comisión de las Naciones Unidas para el Derecho
Mercantil Internacional (CNUDMI); Convención Marco de las Naciones Unidas
sobre el Cambio Climático (CMNUCC); European Association of Private
International Law (EAPIL); Instituto Internacional para la Unificación del
Derecho Privado (UNIDROIT); Organización de Aviación Civil Internacional
(OACI).

Junto con mis colegas, espero con interés la primera reunión de este Grupo
de Expertos.

Atentamente,

Christophe Bernasconi

LA HAYA, 11 de marzo de 2025

A los Órganos Nacionales y de Contacto de los Miembros
A las Misiones Diplomáticas de los Miembros